You may have heard the expression Pay it Forward. It comes from a book written by Catherine Ryan Hyde that was turned into a movie with the same name and has even evolved into a movement. The main idea is that you do something good for someone and they in turn are asked to do something good for another person and so and so on. I thought I would take that same concept and use it to create a contest to help pay back for all the wonderful ukulele videos that I enjoy every day on YouTube. I thought it would be really cool to have a contest that would not only entertain but help teach other beginning uke enthusiasts like myself. So the Play it forward video contest was born.
See all of the contest entries here.
Here’s how it works…
Submit an instructional, tutorial, learning demonstration style ukulele related video to YouTube before 4/1/08. Then on 4/4/08, I’ll announce three winners. Each winner will receive the same prize pack, which will include:
1 Flea ukulele. Concert size with plastic fret board and gig bag.
1 Intelli IMT-500 digital tuner
1 Set of extra strings
1 UKE sticker from tikiking.com
Al Wood’s great collection of Ukulele eBooks:
How to Play Ukulele Chord Progressions
How to Play Ragtime Ukulele
How to Play Christmas Ukulele
Contest Rules – Read them carefully. If you don’t follow them, your entry will be disqualified
1. Submit one or more videos to YouTube from 2/16/08 (12am EST) to 3/31/08 (12pm EST).
2. Your submission needs to be an instructional video for the ukulele. Not just a performance. The idea is to pass on your knowledge to the uke community, to play it forward for all of us. Ideas: teach us to play your favorite song, show us how to do a fancy strum pattern, demonstrate how to adjust the action on your uke, explain how to improvise in a song, etc. The sky is the limit, impress us!
3. Your submission MUST BE new and MUST NOT have been posted to YouTube prior to 2/16/08. I watch every ukulele video posted to YouTube everyday, so don’t try to be sneaky… I’ll catch you
4. At the beginning of your video, say “This is my entry for the play it forward ukulele video contest”.
5. Paste the following text somewhere in the YouTube video description field:This is my entry for the play it forward ukulele video contest: http://ukulelereview.com
6. Tag your video with the words: ukulele and ukulelereview
7. Once your video is submitted to YouTube, email me ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) the link to your video.
Winners will be chosen based on creativity and content. This contest is open to anyone, anywhere!
I look forward to seeing your entries!!!
Special thanks go out to:
Rob Deel of Ukulele4u. Rob helped me out with a nice discount on the 3 ukes for this contest. Thanks Rob!