Why do I love the ukulele? Let me count the ways…
1. Ukuleles take up less space than a standard sized guitar. Below you see the case for my Collings OOO2H in the background and my Pono concert sized ukulele in the foreground. The Collings is a small body guitar, so as you can see, you could store 2 or 3 ukes in the same space that a guitar requires
2. Whenever you tell someone that you play a ukulele, they give you the same kind of look that your dog does when you are trying to tell him something really wise and profound. You know that look, it’s kind like this:
3. The ukulele has four strings. Playing an instrument with four strings is easier than playing one with six strings. So, if you’ve ever tried the guitar and ended up frustrated, you should give the uke a try! You’ll most likely be able to play a song within minutes of picking one up.
4. You know the uke is cool when you tune it by singing “My dog has fleas…”.
5. A ukulele will fit easily into any car, no matter how small.
6. The ukulele online community is a great group of people that are supportive and helpful! Check the forums links section on my home page…
7. The ukulele comes in various shapes and styles. There are regular classic style ukes, like the Kiwaya KTS-7. There are also ukes made of plastic, banjo ukes, cigar box ukes, boat paddle shaped ukes and probably lots more that I don’t even know about yet.
8. A ukulele can elevate a goofy person to uber-stardom. Case in point:
Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips song fame. If you think I’m making fun of goofy people, I’m the goofiest goof you’ll ever meet. So there
9. Loving the ukulele gives you a perfect excuse for making a trip to Hawaii! Every self professed uke enthusiast, must make a trip to the mother land at some point in their life.
10. No matter who you are, your physical size, your age or your prior musical experience, you can learn to play the uke. And once you pick one up, you’ll never want to put it down.
Ok, now it’s your turn. What are your reasons for loving this little instrument?